HAMC Logo Various housing and rental units


Supplemental Information for Section 8 Voucher Holders looking for a home

This for those people that have received a voucher and are looking for a home to rent.


This is a simple guide to the most common questions asked by people that already have a voucher and are looking to find a home to rent.

1. Where can I live?

In most cases, you must live within the jurisdiction of HAMC (see list below). You cannot rent in Phoenix, Mesa, Glendale, Scottsdale, Chandler and Tempe because these have their own Housing Authorities. To receive a voucher for these cities you must apply with them.

HAMC serves the following communities: Aguila, Anthem, Apache Junction (limited areas*), Arlington, Avondale, Cave Creek, Carefree, Cashion, Circle City, El Mirage, Fountain Hills, Gila Bend, Gilbert, Gladden, Goodyear, Guadalupe, Higley, Laveen (limited areas*), Litchfield Park, Mesa (limited areas*), New River, Palo Verde, Paloma, Paradise Valley, Peoria, Queen Creek (limited areas*), Sentinel, Sun City, Sun City West, Sun Lakes, Surprise, Tolleson, Tonopah, Waddell, Wickenburg, Wintersburg, Wittmann, Youngtown
*HAMC jurisdiction limited to ‘county islands' or shared with another housing authority.

2. How do I find a home?

By HUD rules HAMC cannot indicate a landlord, home or apartment for you. You must find one yourself.

The Housing Authority has partnered with GoSection8.com, which provides an enhanced program to list rental properties online. Listings are available to potential Housing Choice Voucher tenants seeking apartment units, duplexes, single-family homes or townhomes in the private market.

Perspective tenants may view GoSection8 rental listings here to look for a home in the cities and communities served by HAMC.

3. How much do I have to pay?

It depends on your voucher, your lease and you. The payment amount depends on the bedroom size designated on the voucher and your income. If you have questions about this, call your case manager. We have a page that talks about this, available here.

4. How are eligibility and income information verified?

Any unreported income, fraud or illegal activity may result in criminal charges and loss of the voucher. Because the Voucher program is income-based, changes to income or family composition may change the payment calculations and therefore should be reported immediately to HAMC. A web-based computer system called EIV is used to cross-check information provided by applicants and participants with data from other federal and state agencies. A more detailed explanation on this system and how it works can be found here.

5. What size of house or apartment can I rent? How many bedrooms?

When issuing a voucher, HAMC 'Occupancy Standard' policy is two people per bedroom, regardless of age, gender, relationship, etc. Clients may request a Reasonable Accommodation if a household member needs their own bedroom due to medical necessity. Clients may not rent a home with a pool or spa in the yard

6. I am renting but I want to move. Can I? What is 'port out'?

You can move at the end of your contract without penalty. You must notify your landlord that you are moving out. If you are leased up through HAMC and wish to transfer your voucher to another Housing Authority, you must contact HAMC, send us a copy of the legal 'Notice to Move' given to your landlord and let us know you intend to 'port out'. You should contact the Housing Authority you wish to transfer to. Make sure they cover the area you want to move to. Ask them the what bedroom size your family would qualify for and what you need to do to transfer your voucher. The HAMC caseworker will contact you with any additional items needed and set an appointment for you. Once all the documents have been received, HAMC will send your information to the new Housing Authority. Once again, if you have any questions, call your HAMC caseworker.

7. I have a voucher and want to move to Maricopa County. How do I 'port in'?

Welcome! First of all make sure the city you want to move to is on the list of cities and communities served by HAMC (see list above). Have your caseworker in your current Housing Authority transfer your documents to HAMC. If you have questions, call our Port-in caseworker at 602-744-4538. Anyone wishing to port-out please contact your case manager.

Click here to return the the main Section 8 page.

Top-of-page button